Dare County officials say they were caught off guard when Currituck officials last week announced they would allow visitors to return to the northern beaches of Corolla and Carova as soon as May 15. Now that date is off the table.
The two jurisdictions have decided to work together on when to allow beach-goers to return, Dare County officials said in a Monday afternoon press release.
“The board chairmen and county managers from both counties have met to begin discussions,” the release said. “Currituck County will remove the tentative May 15 visitor entry date from their State of Emergency and plans to move forward with a coordinated plan between the two counties.”
Following Gov. Roy Cooper’s action with regard to the statewide stay-at-home order, which is scheduled to expire on May 8, Currituck and Dare officials will meet again to establish a timeline for visitor entry to the Outer Banks, the counties said.
“When a date for visitor entry is made and agreed upon, the decision will be announced jointly by Currituck and Dare counties,” the release said.
Dare County has extended its stay-at-home order through May 22, meaning no visitors allowed, and will phase in reentry of out-of-town property owners beginning May 4. Currituck allowed property owners to return to Corolla and Carova last week.
This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.