Multiple fires were sparked by lightning strikes along the Outer Banks Friday night, including one that damaged an oceanfront motel in Nags Head and another involving a home on the north end of Roanoke Island.
The fires at the Sea Foam Motel in the Whalebone Junction section of Nags Head and in the Heritage Point neighborhood near Fort Raleigh were reported around the same time as heavy rain with embedded thunderstorms moved through northeastern North Carolina Friday evening.
There were reports of other structures that were hit by lightning from the same cell, including at Pirates Cove on the Manteo causeway.
Last night our beloved Sea Foam Motel was struck by lightning. While we can’t prepare for when nature strikes, we are extremely grateful that every guest and every team member were unharmed.
Thank you to our city’s firefighters who came to our rescue and fought bravely to keep both the Sea Foam and all of us safe. Thank you to our team who acted quickly and calmly to help our guests evacuate to safety. Thank you to our guests last night who were all absolutely amazing, patient and calm.
To our guests checking in today, we are so sorry to say we are in the process of assessing the damage, cleanup and repair. We are working as quickly as possible.
Please do us a favor and wait to call to check on your reservations, check availability or rate quotes. IF this is going to effect your stay with us I promise you we will call you and let you know right away.
We are the Sea Foam…we have been around since 1948 and have survived everything thrown at us…We will get through this stronger than ever!!!!! #seafoamstrong
According to Nags Head Fire and Rescue, units from the Colington, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, and Southern Shores Fire Departments, as well as Dare County EMS and Nags Head Police Department responded to the Sea Foam fire.
Scanner traffic indicated the other fire was confined to the attic of a multi-story structure on Battlefield Court overlooking the Croatan Sound. After being brought under control, it flared up while crews were trying to vent smoke from the home.
Other details from the Roanoke Island Volunteer Fire Department were not immediately available.
This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.