The Dare County Public Works Department reminds citizens that large item pickup for the unincorporated areas of Dare County* will begin today, Monday, March 27, 2023 and run continuously for approximately 12-15 days.
The large item pickup will be performed by a private contractor, Southern Disaster Recovery, and there will be a strict one pass only enforced due to budgetary and time constraints. Citizens are therefore asked to pay close attention to the guidelines below that indicate which specific types of items will be accepted during the upcoming large item pickup and should place their items on the roadside in piles that are sorted by type.
The exact dates upon which items will be collected from specific locations throughout the unincorporated areas of Dare County will be determined by the private contractor; therefore, the Dare County Public Works Department will be unable to provide specific information regarding pickup dates and locations for each area in advance of the collection period.
In order to ensure all of your accepted items are picked up on the first and only pass, please do not place any materials on the roadside after the start of the large item pickup, which is Monday, March 27, 2023.*
*Please note that your items will remain at the roadside throughout the duration of the large item pickup period until the contractor reaches your area and is able to collect them. If the private contractor does not take an item you placed on the roadside by the conclusion of the 12- to 15-day collection period, it has been rejected and therefore must be disposed of at your own expense.
This one-pass large item pickup will take place in all unincorporated areas of Dare County**, which includes the following communities:
- Martin’s Point
- Colington Island – (inside and outside the gated community)
- Roanoke Island – (unincorporated areas of Manteo, as well as Wanchese, Skyco and Mashoes)
- Mainland (East Lake, Stumpy Point and Manns Harbor)
- Hatteras Island (Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Frisco and Hatteras)
The Dare County Public Works Department only provides large item pickup for the unincorporated areas of Dare County. The county does not provide large item pickup for the incorporated towns of Manteo, Duck, Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head. For information regarding large item pickup programs in these areas, please consult the officials in your municipality.
- Used automobile tires
- Automobile radiators
- Scrap metals (rims, motor parts, etc.)
- Appliances (please remove the doors from refrigerators)
- Furniture, mattresses and box springs
All items must be sorted into separate piles based on their type.
The following items will not be collected:
- Old clothing and shoes
- Tree limbs, stumps, leaves and yard-clearing debris
- Construction/demolition materials (such as lumber, toilets, windows and doors, etc.)
- Boats, trailers and jet skis
- Propane tanks and fire extinguishers
- Any hazardous materials (oil-based paint, pesticides, etc.)
The Dare County Public Works Department will host a three-day household hazardous waste collection event in three separate locations May 11-13, 2023. See below for additional information.
All normal household trash must be disposed of within regular black trash bins and will not be accepted as part of the large item pickup.
- Prohibited materials, mixed piles and items that are improperly sorted will not be collected.
- If the private contractor does not take an item you placed on the roadside, it has been rejected and therefore must be disposed of at your own expense.
- Please take pride in your home and respect your neighbors. Do not leave any trash at the roadside expecting it to be picked up.
- Please do not interfere with the private contractor picking up large items. If large item pickup falls on your regular trash collection day, please do not block the trash bin with any other items.
- Citizens are also asked to be mindful of any overhead power lines in their area and to avoid placing items in a location where the collection trucks could be in danger of coming into contact with them.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event:
The Dare County Public Works Department will also host a three-day household hazardous waste collection event in three separate locations May 11-13, 2023. During this event, citizens can drop off motor oil in spill-proof containers, along with any paint chemicals, for safe disposal at the following locations:
- Northern Beach Collection: Kitty Hawk Town Hall (101 Veterans Memorial Drive), 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday, May 11, 2023
- Buxton Collection: Buxton Transfer Station, (47015 Buxton Back Road),
2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday, May 12, 2023
- Manteo Collection: Dare County Public Works (1018 Driftwood Drive),
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, May 13, 2023
For more information about the upcoming household hazardous waste collection event, click here to view the event flyer.
For more information about large item pickup or any other services provided by the Dare County Public Works Department, visit DareNC.gov/PublicWorks.