The Dare County Public Works Department has announced that it will host a three-day household hazardous waste collection event from May 11-13, 2023 in three different locations throughout the county.
During this event, Dare County residents and property owners can drop off hazardous waste for safe disposal at the following locations:
- Northern Beach Collection: Kitty Hawk Town Hall (101 Veterans Memorial Drive), 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday, May 11, 2023
- Buxton Collection: Buxton Transfer Station, (47015 Buxton Back Road),
2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday, May 12, 2023
- Manteo Collection: Dare County Public Works (1018 Driftwood Drive),
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, May 13, 2023
Residents of Dare County may use any of the three locations noted above during the three-day household hazardous waste collection event.
Please note that this hazardous waste collection is only for Dare County residents (both property owners and year-round residents) as well as the agricultural community/farmers within Dare County.
Materials that will be accepted at all of the collection locations include:
- Paints, polishes, varnishes, paint-related materials and turpentine
- Aerosol cans, adhesives and mercury
- Household cleaners and pool chemicals
- Herbicides, insecticides and pesticides
- Fluorescent light bulbs and small batteries
- Gasoline, motor oil, antifreeze and fuel additives
- Automotive batteries and automotive fluids
MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTED:
Materials that are typically not accepted include:
- Commercial, business and industrial waste
- Explosives, bullets and radioactive material
- 55-gallon drums of material and cylinders (other than propane and fire extinguishers)
Dare County residents and property owners are asked to mark any unlabeled containers that will be dropped off during the household hazardous waste collection event.
For more information about all of the services that are provided by the Dare County Public Works Department, visit DareNC.gov/PublicWorks.