The demand for lifesaving blood products does not pause for summer. The American Red Cross is asking individuals across the Outer Banks and Northeastern North Carolina to schedule an appointment to donate blood this August.
“When you donate blood, you may be helping ensure a patient gets to enjoy summer fun with their family and friends” said Kristopher Dumschat, Regional Communications Manager for the American Red Cross. “Blood donations are being sent to hospitals faster than they are coming in and this is why we are asking individuals to schedule an appointment to help avoid a dip in the blood supply this summer.”
Blood Donors are especially needed at the following blood drives in August:
- August 8, 2023 – OBX Community Blood Drives at Holy Redeemer by the sea Catholic Church from 10:00am-4:00pm
- August 8, 2023 – Edenton Baptist from 1:00pm-6:00pm
- August 9, 2023 – OBX Community Blood Drives at Holy Redeemer by the sea Catholic Church from 12:00pm-6:00pm
- August 10, 2023 – Perquimans County- Inter County Ruritan Club from 2:00pm-6:00pm
- August 15, 2023 – New Life Assembly of God, Elizabeth City from 9:00am-1:00pm
Each day, the Red Cross needs to collect about 12,500 blood donations and nearly 3,000 platelet donations to meet the needs of patients at about 2,500 hospitals and other facilities across the country. Donors can feel good knowing that by donating through the Red Cross, they may be helping patients not only in their community, but also across the nation.
Come to give blood between July 12-Aug. 12 will be automatically entered for a chance to win a three-night New York getaway for two with a private shark dive adventure at Long Island Aquarium. Those who come to give throughout the month of August will also get a $10 e-gift card to a movie merchant of their choice. Details are available at RedCrossBlood.org/Movie.
To schedule an appointment to donate blood at one of the drives above, or to find a local blood drive near you, visit RedCrossBlood.org; Download the free Red Cross Blood Donor App; or call 1(800) RED CROSS.